Sunday, May 1, 2011

Coheed & Comic Books

I can honestly say that I have never been into comic books...until now, that is.  I got my first taste when I started listening more to the band Coheed and Cambria, a progressive rock, concept band who base their albums around segments of their comic book series called the Amory Wars.


I have always been a fan of Coheed and Cambria, and they have been in my list of Top 3 favorite bands for at least the past year.  However, I really started listening more to them around the same time the issues concerning my band arose.  I found that it was really easy to get lost inside the music with these concept albums, as opposed to other genres of music, where every drum beat and bassline would remind me of my band and of the stress its issues were thrusting upon me.

Not only that, but the music is just...good, very simply put.  The guitar riffs are intricately composed, the basslines are genius, and the vocals have a range and force that is unheard of.  It's music that I can listen to for hours on end without growing tired of it...and frankly I have, as I've listened to almost nothing but Coheed for the past few weeks.

This is, in part, in preparation for this coming Tuesday, May 3rd.  Brayden (Formerly So vocalist and my good friend) and I, along with Andrew Alder (another good friend and former rhythm guitarist of Formerly So), Brayden's sister Sadie, and a few others, all have tickets to see Coheed and Cambria live at In The Venue in Salt Lake City.  It's going to be a show like none other.  It is an encore to their Neverender concert series, and they will be the only band performing that night.  They will begin by playing their album Second Stage Turbine Blade in its entirety, followed by an acoustic set and most likely a set/encore of other songs in their arsenal.

I've never been so excited to see a live show, and I really cannot wait until Tuesday.  Needless to say, I am preparing myself nonstop to get the most out of this show, including reading Amory Wars, listening to and studying the albums (especially SSTB), and learning the biographies of the band's members.  I'm sure I'll remember this show for a long time, and I'm glad I've got some great friends who will be able to share the experience with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment