Thursday, September 26, 2013

Back to Muse

I've played in several bands over the past eight years, and in almost every one of those bands I have played a show or two or ten at the Muse Music Cafe in downtown Provo, UT.

One of the moments I've remembered the most about that venue was playing a show in a metal band called Tamarack.  The band was established by a friend and neighbor of mine, Brady Bills.  I wasn't actually in his band at first, but one day there was a knock at my door and I answered it to find him and his dad holding a CD.

Brady told me that he had a huge favor to ask.  He had a show scheduled at Muse, but his bassist in his band had a bought of stage fright and decided that he didn't want to play shows and abruptly quit.  He asked if there was any way that I could fill in and play for them.  My previous band had parted ways not too long before that, and I was leaving on my mission in the coming weeks, so I agreed to jump on.  He was super excited, and promptly handed me the CD and told me that it had all the songs we would be playing but that some of them did not have bass lines recorded so I would need to come up with my own. He also told me that the show was in two days. 

It was an interesting experience trying to get the songs down pat, and to write new parts for a few of them.  But I sat in front of my computer, bass in hand, for a few hours and managed to get pretty solid. 

We had one late night rehearsal, and then it was off to the show.  Although I didn't have much playing time with those guys under my belt, I feel like we did very well, and it was really fun to play a style of music that wasn't my norm.  



Over the years after my mission, between Formerly So and Goodnight Annabelle, I've played at Muse probably over a dozen times.  Have I ever played larger venues?  Yes.  Have I ever played venues with a better sound system or a nicer stage?  Yes.  But at the same time I enjoy playing at Muse because of its intimate feel and because it is in the heart of Provo. 




Over the last nine months or so, we have played shows across the far reaches of Utah.  We had the great privilege of opening for Mayday Parade in Richfield, near the small town of Annabella, where our band got its namesake.  We also had the opportunity to play at the UBIC (Uintah Basin in Celebration) 2013 event in Roosevelt.



While those shows were amazing, I would by lying if I said that I didn't miss playing in Utah county, especially as that is where most of our fanbase resides. 

So I am very excited to say that Goodnight Annabelle will be playing at Muse Music Cafe tonight for the Helping Houston benefit event.  The doors open at 8pm and we are the first band on the bill, so we will be going on at 8:30pm.  I'm very excited and can't wait to show everyone the new songs we've been working so hard on over the past year.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment