Sunday, October 6, 2013

Llamado a Servir

Since the day that my little brother Easton entered my life eighteen years ago, I knew that the day would come when he received his call from the Lord to serve his two year mission.  However, that day always seemed to be part of a future that would never arrive, an everlasting tomorrow.  He was my little brother and always would be.

Despite that feeling, I never doubted that he would be an incredible missionary.  Throughout his entire life he has always had an amazing spirit about him that spoke volumes about his convictions and his testimony of the Gospel.  This sense of preparedness has seemed to skyrocket over the past few years and months, and even weeks.

Easton and I have always been very close.  Even while he was really young, he was my "little buddy."  He and I did everything together.  We were the perfect video game companions.  We rode bikes and skateboards.  We even just hung out and did whatever sounded fun.

I also had the unique opportunity of saying that I played in a rock band with my little brother.  When I was about eighteen years old, I began a band called Last Gamble with my cousins Joel Thompson and Jake Jensen.  It started out as a cover band, with us just playing renditions of our favorite songs by Millencolin, Tiger Army, and Rise Against.  At the same time, my grandpa Elliott--who played in a jazz band for about 38 years--was teaching Easton to play the drums, and he was really picking it up quickly.

I was extremely impressed with how well Easton had learned to play, especially at his young age.  I had attempted to learn the drums from my grandpa, but I just couldn't fall into it as much as I wanted to and shifted toward the bass guitar instead.  Easton, on the other hand, flourished and had a natural rhythm.

I decided to help my brother along with his gift and bought him a Tama Stagestar drum set, which is designed to be a smaller set used for gigs where you don't have a lot of storage space.  I, however, found it to be the perfect size for such a little guy.  Easton joined our little group and we began not only learning covers but writing our own material.  We even got invited to play several shows in local venues, one of which performing as the opening act to a band I would later join.


We became pretty well known in the Provo area because of Easton, and I got accustomed to getting calls from venues asking if we were "the band with that awesome ten-year-old drummer."  People looked forward to hearing us play, and I'm sure it was mostly because of how fun it was to watch a kid who was barely taller than his drum set playing some advanced fills in songs.


As time went by, our small group dissolved as I went on to play in larger bands and because Jake lived so far away, but my bond with Easton was still very strong.  One of my very best friends growing up was my cousin Joel, and when he had to move to California I was very sad that I had lost such a close friend.  I turned to Easton and we did a lot together, whether it was going places like Nickelcade or to movies, playing racquetball, or just hanging out at home playing video games.

Even after my mission we still spent a lot of time together, even though he was obviously in his teen years and had a lot of other friends that he hung out with.  Some of my favorite memories of my unmarried life are when Joel, East, and I would meet up in my basement with our Xbox systems to play Call of Duty or other games late into the night together, laughing at each other and just having a great time.

Throughout those teen years, East has continued to really impress me.  Even with his energetic, fun side he still had a strong testimony and stood up for what he believed in.  I distinctly remember a time when he and I were the only ones home while my parents and Steph were out of town, where we had a long, late night talk about a friend situation he was having.  His friend was not very interested in living by Gospel standards or attending church or seminary, and East was worried that remaining friends with him would affect his own spiritual standing.  He had turned to me for help because he had come to a crossroads where he needed to put friendships on the line to do what is right.  I am so happy to know that he made the right decision, and that such thoughts were even on his radar at that age.

I have been continuously impressed with him, especially during this time that his mission is drawing closer.  I was excited to know that he has been attending a mission preparedness class, and that he has been thoroughly studying the Preach My Gospel manual so that he can be as prepared as possible.  It was also wonderful to hear of his progress as he filled out his mission papers and met with the bishop and stake president.

This past Wednesday, the day finally came when the envelope arrived at my parents' home addressed to "Elder Easton Dean Shurtliff," stating that it was from the office of the First Presidency.


We all met up that night to go to Brick Oven to celebrate both the call and several family birthdays occurring that month.  After dinner, when Easton's nerves were undoubtedly ready to pop, we returned home and sat around him as he opened the letter.  We all made our guesses on where he would go, but I think honestly we could see Easton serving both stateside and foreign, and so could he.  We knew he would truly be happy with wherever the Lord sent him.

With emotions running high and the tension thick in the air, Easton opened his call.



Aguascalientes.  Easton--soon to be Elder Shurtliff--would be serving in the Mexico Aguascalientes mission, serving the Lord in the Spanish language.  He would be entering the Provo MTC on January 22nd.


Easton...obviously...couldn't be happier, and neither could we.  I am beyond words when I say that I am so excited for him to be serving in Mexico.  I know that he will be an incredible missionary, and that he will dedicate his whole heart and soul to the Lord during that time to help others to come unto Christ and experience the joys of the restored Gospel.



Last night I had the opportunity to attend the Priesthood Session of general conference with Easton for the last time before his mission.  It was so touching to look over at him as he hurriedly scrawled down notes from each speaker in his notebook, rapt with attention.

I just know that Easton will be a superb missionary, and I am so excited to love and support him as much as I can while he is gone with mail and by any other means necessary, and know that he will truly be used an an instrument of the Lord in preaching the Gospel to the Mexican people.

Just as he has been throughout his entire life, Easton continues to be a huge example to me and I look up to him so much.  I am so excited to learn from him and follow his progress during his mission, and to see the man that he becomes while he is out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment